Not everyone who applies for a brothel license can get one. There’s an extensive federal background check.
History of Lyon County Brothels
- 1955 Moonlight Ranch
- 1970 Starlight Ranch and is moved and renamed Miss Kitty’s Guest Ranch
- 1971 Prostitution became legal
- 1992 Dennis Hof purchases Moonlight and becomes The Moonlight BunnyRanch
- 1996 Dennis Hof purchases Miss Kitty’s Guest Ranch
- 2013 Dennis Hof purchases SageBrush Ranch
- 2016 Dennis Hof opens Kit Kat Ranch
Please refer to Lyon County Business and License regulations to be able to own and have a brothel license.
- 1992 Sheriff Sid Smith approves Dennis Hof to have a brothel license.
- 2011 Sheriff Allen Veil approves Suzette Cole to be on all Lyon County brothels licenses after reviewing extensive back ground check. Investigation reporting fees are $4,000 paid by submitted.
License and Business fees that are paid Annually
- Business Licenses $356,000
- Room and board tax $12,000
- Silver Springs medical Center $26,000
- Over $50,000 for licenses for employees and working girls
- Employees and Working girls who live in Lyon County pay personal taxes.
Statement from Jeff Page, Lyon County Executive
“Brothels don’t pay business taxes, but contribute nearly $500,000 in other fees to the county which goes toward paying the county fleet of vehicles. With only 52,000 residents, the county would be hard pressed to make up that revenue if the brothels were banned. From a financial perspective, it means it has to come from someplace else.”
That place would be coming from the Lyon County citizen’s pockets.
Some have stated that we are only 1% of the yearly budget, this is just not true. The yearly budget is 30 million, but first all mandatory bills and expenses have to be paid out of that budget. For instance, all county employee’s salaries and county expenses etc; have to come right off the top. Then after those are paid thats when our fees that we pay in are factored and it’s more like 30 % of the left over budget.
Sheriff Sid Smith and Sheriff Allen Veil neither had an issue with the brothels in Lyon County. Is it to be said that Sheriff Smith, Sheriff Veil and the previous sheriffs did not know what was best for their county? Seems people are trying to force their religion upon others. I believe in freedom of speech and the freedom of religion.
Lyon County Brothels are the biggest donators in the County
- Animal parks
- Food banks
- Sheriff’s ARK program
- Boys and girls club
- High School
- Toys for Tots
- Personal hardships and numerous others.
- We always have had a donation box in the foyers of all our ranches to give back to the community. Over the years it has added up into tens of thousands of dollars.
Please refer to Lyon County Legal Prostitution Fees and Requirements for a legal prostitute to get her license, She first has to have a
- Hepatitis test, which is done once a year.
- HIV and Syphilis tests, which are done once a month
- Chlamydia and gonorrhea tests, which are done once a week.
- All these fees are paid for by the working girl, that goes into hundreds of thousands of dollars a year which are handled through the Silver
- Springs Renown Medical Center on top of the $26K that we pay towards every year. That keeps the medical center open for all the Lyon County citizens to be able to visit.
After the lab tests has come back with negative results, the working girl goes to the sheriff’s station and fills out an application.